What's most important to you?
Because of Government cuts, over the 3 years from April 2017 – April 2020 the Council will need to save at least £60m* more from its budget for day-to-day services. It will not be easy; it follows cuts of over £100m already made over the last few years. Which services would you put first?
Click here to use a simulator to see what the council does and suggest where it should make savings - and understand their likely impacts. The Council will consider the results when deciding how to make the cuts Government is forcing....
To see Labour Mayor Marvin Rees explain why this is important click on this link:
What's most important to you? Because of Government cuts, over the 3 years from April 2017 – April 2020 the Council will need to save at least £60m* more from its budget...
Four houses in one street in Knowle West have had bricks thrown through their windows and two have had obscene racist graffiti scrawled across the front over the last weeks. In response, local people and workers have organised a Peace Picnic for today, 31st July, 2pm-4pm, Filwood Broadway Park, Knowle West, to show Bristol's solidarity with victims of hate crimes, past and future. It's a peaceful community event. Please come along and support the local community in dealing with these awful attacks in their neighbourhood.
Knowle West and Bristol should not be judged by the crimes and racist views of a tiny minority in our city. Judge us instead by our response to hate wherever it occurs. Come one and all, bring your packed lunches and picnic blankets and join us. If you only have a little time but want to show support, there will be a book to leave a message to families affected by recent crimes.
There will be some food to share, and also some (non alcoholic) drinks and blankets - so please come, and bring some of these things to share too, if you can.
Please pass this info on to other like-minded people!
Four houses in one street in Knowle West have had bricks thrown through their windows and two have had obscene racist graffiti scrawled across the front over the last...
Did you know that the EU has a motto? “United in Diversity” – it captures EU values that resonate with us in the Labour Party. A quick EU myth-busting quiz got women thinking on Saturday with Clare Moody our elected MEP (see the photo of Diane Bunyan (Chair), Karin Smyth M.P. with Clare at the meeting). Click here to take the quiz.. (drawn from info published by Clare Moody, Labour in Europe and the Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats in the European Parliament).
There was lots of energy and buzz from the women participating in the South Bristol Labour Women’s Network last Saturday where Clare talked to us about women’s issues in the EU Referendum. We heard how women would be hit hard by an EU exit. The widely predicted economic downturn will disproportionately affect low paid, part time and insecure employment – work dominated by the same women who will also juggle increasingly expensive family budgets.
We now know about the European Court of Justice protection for part time workers who are no longer excluded from occupational pension schemes - and the backdated payments for those women whose Trade Unions had to take this challenge to Europe before getting support. It was fascinating to hear about the EU’s culture of consensus working, interrogative approaches to new legislation and gender budgeting - measuring the impact and outcome of EU budget spending on women.
For women's sake, we need to Remain - What can we do now?
Our group work and panel discussion with Clare, Karin Smyth MP and Diane Bunyan (Chair of Bristol South Labour Party) focussed on what we can do now before the EU referendum. Our top tips are...
- Have lots of short, informal discussions with people you don’t know well or at all. Make it your mission. In work, the supermarket, playgroup, school, college, pub, bus queue. Did you know that women form the largest section of undecided voters? We can achieve a lot with these women. Encourage them, and others, to Vote Remain.
- Get your posters up and share info on Face Book. It’s reach is extensive.
- Our councillors and Mayor to publish ‘What has the EU done for Bristol?’ in the local press
- Stay positive – Karin shared how much support she is getting for Remain in local groups
- Remember 99% of the UK budget is spent by our government – the remaining 1% will not solve the issues that the Out Campaign complains so much about.
Did you know that the EU has a motto? “United in Diversity” – it captures EU values that resonate with us in the Labour Party. A quick EU myth-busting quiz...
More Stories >
The Labour Party will place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better.
Please read this to review the updates about which cookies we use and what information we collect on our site.
To find out more about these cookies, see our privacy notice. Use of this site confirms your acceptance of these cookies.